Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Let Us Get Started




Here is the little study corner that is going to be devoted to 'practical networking' through a number of challenges. That's what makes it interesting: facing the challenges and getting better at what we do.


"I don't have access to the equipment to study practical aspects of networking," you say. Well, neither do I. So you and I have two choices: we can bitch about life unfairness and dwell on what we don't have, or we can embrace what we have and push it to its limits.


So what do we have that can be used to practice networking?



  • Packet Tracer - Free
  • GNS3 emulator - Free
  • IOL (IOS On Linux) - well this one isn't technically free but if you are persistent, you might be able to get it.
Installing those is certainly a challenge (as for the last one finding/cracking/installing/using is very difficult) but this whole section is about challenges. So, don't expect me to give you everything on a silver platter. I am here to help you get sweaty and dirty, not pamper you.

I am going to try to challenge you through interesting labs and questions. I don't like Packet Tracer emulator very much but, what the hell, I am going to give it a shot and see how much I can get out of it. Here's our topology we are going to play with:


If you have installed Packet Tracer using the link above and launched the topology I have included, you have completed the first task. 

In the 'Learning By Doing' Section I will use both Packet Tracer and IOL. Below is the topology diagram for IOL emulator:



Come back soon for more. We're going to have fun, I promise.

Cisco Is Easy - Main

  Cisco Basics (CCNA level)  Lessons: Watch Video Tutorials on Youtube 01 - Connecting to Cisco Console Port with MINICOM 02 - Navigatin...