Friday, January 29, 2016

Raspberry PI Installation

Previous | Home | Next


Download the Linux image for Raspberry Pi (I use Raspbian) 


Image Download


Raspbian-Download-Page

Then follow the installation instructions:











Since I use Linux to image the SD card, so this is what it is going to look like:



1. Checksum check if the file is intact.

sha1sum 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.zip

cb799af077930ff7cbcfaa251b4c6e25b11483de



Compared with the number on 'download' page and the digest value is the same.



2. Check how my system detects sd card. 



First 'df -h' without sd card installed




Output withot sd card
Output without SD Card



Then insert sd card and  repeat the same command:




Output with SD Card Inserted



My system mounts sd card as: /dev/mmcblk0p1.


3. Unzip the image downloaded:


unzip 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.zip 



4. Unmount sd card


umount /media/jaro/D681-1D95



5. Using 'dd' copy the image onto the sd card (make sure you use the whole partition of the card - here: /dev/mmcblk0)


$ sudo dd bs=4M if=2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.img of=/dev/mmcblk0



It will take a while to copy image and nothing shows on the screen during that time. Just give it a time.



6. Insert sd card into Raspberry PI and connect to your TV set.



Once my Raspberry PI is hooked up to the TV set



A tool called 'raspi-config' is the first thing that is greeting me. It can be invoked at any point from CLI (command line interface) using the following command: 




$ sudo raspi-config




all information on raspi-config can be found at: http://elinux.org/RPi_raspi-config




Avoiding too much deliberation I arrive with the following settings:






Option 1: Expand Filesystem

This allows system to see and use the whole SD Card.



Option 2: Change User Password.

I have changed default password (defaults: user=pi, password=rasbberry)



Option 3: Enable Boot to Desktop/Scratch

Console Text console, requiring login (default)

In case I wanted Graphical User Interface (GUI) I can always type:



$ startx




Graphical User Interface is pretty and makes simple task simple. But my goal is to discover the full power of this little computer and Linux. This is why I will be using SHELL most of the time.



Option 8: Advanced Options

A3: Memory Split

(How much memory should the GPU have)? 32

Since I don't use GUI, 32 MB should do.



A4: SSH (in order to be able to log on to PI from other computers (putty etc.)



If I don't like them I can change them anytime I want by invoking the tool again. 



The last thing I want to do is to make sure that IP address of my Raspberry PI has a static IP address rather than using DHCP server. It will make my ssh access much easier later.



I edit the file in which system keeps the information about IP settings (I'm choosing IP address that is not part of DHCP in my network (A.B.C.D are values used in my home network):



$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces




iface eth0 inet static

 address A.B.C.D

 netmask 255.255.255.0

 network A.B.C.0

 broadcast A.B.C.255


 gateway A.B.C.254


Content saved with CTRL-x / save
(Note: learn VIM text editor. It's usage is more difficult but gives more power as well).



And...

IT'S ALIVE









Previous | Home | Next

Cisco Is Easy - Main

  Cisco Basics (CCNA level)  Lessons: Watch Video Tutorials on Youtube 01 - Connecting to Cisco Console Port with MINICOM 02 - Navigatin...